Absolute Painting Inc. Residential - Choosing a Contractor
When choosing a contractor, it is important that you have the right information to ask when doing your diligence. Absolute Painting Inc. has provided you three documents below to view and print at your leisure.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT CONTRACTOR FOR YOUR PROJECT
1. PREPARATION: Getting the surface properly prepared makes all the difference. Professional contractors know the value of preparation and will do it right. Make sure your contractor tells you how he will prep the job.
2. KNOWING PAINTS AND HOW TO APPLY THEM: The choices today are more complicated than just oil and latex. Professional contractors will know what works, how to use it, and will have the right tools for the job. Make sure to ask!
3. REPUTABLE CONTRACTORS WILL ENCOURAGE THE USE OF WRITTEN CONTRACTS: This contract should clearly explain the scope of the work to be performed. It should also cover such items as surfaces to be painted, methods and extent of surface preparation and payment procedures. Knowing the total scope of work enables you to carefully evaluate the different bids you may receive with the proper information and keep them on a level playing field. The contract serves to protect both you and your contractor. So don’t forget to ask for one!
4. QUALIFIED CONTRACTORS WILL BE A MEMBER OF TRADE ASSOCIATIONS: A good contractor will be a member of the Painting and Decorating Contractors of America (PDCA). PDCA is a national, professional association of contractors in the coatings industry. This education includes training in the areas of safety, business management, technical areas of painting and surface preparation and much more.
5. KNOW THE LAW: Check with the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs for more information on the NJ Consumer Fraud Act and how to hire a home improvement contractor. Click on this link to visit their website http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/brief/improve.pdf – Hiring Home Improvement Contractors. The NJ Consumer Fraud Act is designed to protect you from any fraud, deceptions or misrepresentations when involved in a consumer transaction.
PITFALLS TO AVOID WHEN HIRING A PAINTER
1. You are sued by the painter who injured themselves while working on your home because he didn’t have workers compensation insurance.
2. Your contractor walks off the job because he/she underestimated the job costs.
3. Your contractor doesn’t show up to do the work after you gave him/her the deposit.
4. You don’t feel comfortable leaving the contractor in your home while he/she does the work.
5. Your contractor can’t afford to buy you a new oriental rug or hardwood floors even though the workers damaged them with spilled paint or while moving furniture.
6. Your contractor won’t leave paint for you to do future touch ups.
7. Your contractor can’t replace rotten wood or install new crown molding.
8. Your contractor doesn’t have accounts with all paint companies in the area.
9. Your contractor doesn’t use contractor grade ladders that are OSHA compliant.
10. You try to hire your last contractor but he/she isn’t in business anymore but says he/she can still do the work.
Many people will review proposals from two or three companies prior to making their final contractor selection. To assist in this process we have provided you with the following check list to help you compile an “apples to apples” comparison between contractors. Simply fill in the blanks. We are confident you will be convinced that Absolute Painting Inc. is the right choice!